March 10, 2008

Is the hit a hit for Telstra?

Thinking of using a well know song in your ads?
Use of hit songs in TV ads is widespread. It can be an effective (though expensive) way to generate immediate goodwill and connect with your target market. The other night I caught a new ad by Telstra which used the famous Harry Nilsson song featured in the movie Midnight Cowboy called Everybody's Talking.



At first this song seems a perfect fit. Then I caught the lyrics... and they weren't the lyrics I remember. Those went along the lines of "Everybody's talking at me... I can't hear a word they're saying, only the echoes of my mind." Of course Telstra (and/or their agency) changed these to "Everybody's talking at me... I can hear every word they're saying, with my phone and laptop combine." And it gets worse. Even more inane was the fact that the visuals were an exact rendition of the lyrics.

This turned me right off, and I am in the target market for Telstra's marketing. It got me thinking that advertisers should show a little respect for the special memories or associations their customers have with the song. Otherwise the advertiser, rather than enhance, could actually do damage to their brand. To see Telstra's ad click the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhS9_jqh-Z4

Got any other examples of advertisers ruining a song for their blatant commercial purpose? Let us know.

1 comment:

Black Eye Advertising said...

This is very true. Caramello koala ruined Donavon song Mello Yello.

Every time the song comes on now I sing the Caramello lyrics and it really annoys me.

Not real good Caramello! Now people are associating getting annoyed with your product.